Update: We recently held two public meetings to present the Future Ready Columbus recommendations to the community, answer questions and gauge interest in working on implementing ideas in the report. Here’s a brief summary of the events and a copy of what was handed out. If you represent a group that would like a briefing on the commission’s recommendations over the summer, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re pleased to announce two more community meetings to discuss the Columbus Education Commission’s recommendations. Both events will be held from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Downtown High School, 364 South 4th St., Columbus, OH. The first meeting will be on Thursday, June 13, followed by a meeting on Wednesday, June 19. We hope you can join us!
From February through March, the Columbus Education Commission organized eight public forums throughout the city so that everyone could have an opportunity to share their good idea for education in Columbus. At the March 6 commission meeting, summaries of the focus groups and the public forums were presented to the commission.
For an inside look at the community outreach campaign, read our conversation with organizer Kathleen Murphy.
- Tuesday, Feb. 5: Wedgewood Middle School (read summary)
- Wednesday, Feb. 6: Centennial High School (read summary)
- Tuesday, Feb. 12: Linden-McKinley STEM Academy, (read summary)
- Tuesday, Feb. 19: South High School, (read summary)
- Wednesday, Feb. 20: Briggs High School, (read summary)
- Tuesday, Feb. 26: Buckeye Middle School, (read summary)
- Tuesday, March 5: Columbus Collegiate Academy-West, (read summary)
- Thursday, March 7: East High School, (read summary)
Our community outreach effort also has included meetings with groups around town. These are summaries of some of those events:
- Create Columbus Commission meeting with young professionals (summary)
- March 30: Leaders and educators of the Somali community (summary)
- April 2: Members of the Latino community (summary)
- April 4: Families who live in the Marsh Run Apartments, an affordable housing complex on the east side. (summary)
Locations of public forums